Thursday, July 31, 2008

Fixing firefox quickfind


Ever since FF2 I've been hampered with the quick find. Now, its a pretty handy feature but, why the hell would I need a find where I cannot move to the next/previous result? And the fact that there are 2 shortcut keys to the same thing ' and / will essentially popup that annoying quick find. If I had to use a regular find I'd have to do a ctrl+f (I guess that is to ensure consistency with IE :/..)


Thankfully in the FF world everything is customizable. If you don't want yet another heavy weight plugin/extension to do the job, FF offers you the option to customize it yourself. Just google for what you want and you should be well on your way with it. So, thats what I did when FF2 was released and now when FF3 was released (and I waited till all my favourite extensions supported FF3 ;) before I installed it).


So, here's how you make the quick find the full featured find in FF2. Go find (or create one there is an example present usually) the userChrome.css in your $FF_PROFILE/profiles/xxxx.default/chrome folder and add the following line (courtesy http://mozillalinks.org/wp/2006/10/firefox-quick-search-as-it-should-and-used-to-be/
#FindToolbar > * {display: -moz-box; }

And for FF3
.findbar-container>* {display: -moz-box !important;}

(its in the comments section in the same page)

No comments: