Sunday, June 03, 2007

Mr. Know it all

How often have you stood on the pavement in a new neighborhood wondering how to reach your particular destination or, someplace where you quite did not manage to figure out what to do. I've always wondered how people pick whom to ask for directions. For myself I follow a simple algorithm, if I'm looking for directions I head to the nearest autorickshaw driver otherwise ask a group of people presuming that one of the many might actually be helpful. In other cases like for example in a bus-stop how does one pick whom to enquire for directions. Here again I tend to gravitate towards respectable elderly looking people.

But, often (more often than I would like) I've been on the other end. In some cases people have come to ask me for directions in cities where I'd only just set foot. Take for example when I came to Bangalore a year ago (just days after I had come) and was at the bus-stop trying to figure out whom to ask for directions to my destination 2 people walk up to me and ask me (eek!!) for directions to 2 different locations. I've just resigned myself to accept the fact that I appear to be "Mr. Know it all" to most people. So, if you have a question that needs answering "Don't ask me!"

No comments: