Monday, March 28, 2005

Richard Stallman


Stallman in the bright red t-shirt by the podium.


The man was in the city to give a speech on "The dangers of Software Patents" at the CLT, IIT Chennai. Having got special permission from my boss and in the company of a colleague arrived at around 2.30pm to get a seat. The auditorium was fully crammed when Richard Stallman walked in late and just as you expected him to be, in jeans, red t-shirt with a backpack on. Before anybody could give the introductory speech or start with the formalities he took the podium and went straight to the topic at hand.

He started by explaining the differences between a patent, trademark, copyright and quote Intellectual Property unquote (hey!, thats how he mentioned it every time he had to use the term...). Having laid the foundation he moved on to the actual dangers of software patenting. According to him software does not lend itself to patenting as well as it does for other industries because all software is simply a representation of abstract/mathematical ideas. Each software does not have a single idea but has thousands/millions of ideas (some of them are not considered ideas anymore because they've become structured like the if-else, while, for loop etc.), and ideas can be patented. And because software consists of abstract/mathematical ideas they can be grouped as using a different set of ideas by different people. Added to this is the convoluted legal language in which it is all written. So it is a nearly impossible thing to write software which does not have a single patented idea in it which can only happen if you have a totally new idea which is extremely rare. Most ideas are enhancements of existing ideas(like we have bubble sort, heap sort, quick sort,...if one was enough why the other?) even then that single idea cannot make a complete software it needs other ideas for other things it must do to appeal to a customer. So, the task of tracking down all the patent infringes of a particular software is massively time consuming and useless to be bothered about by a programmer. Infact, the penalty for infringing a patent without prior knowledge is lesser so its more feasible that way ;).

He decried the moral ideal behind software patents is to protect the small entrepreneur from being forced out of business by a big company because he has a patent on his software that cannot be violated by the larger company. What happens infact is that the big company has numerous other patents which cover parts of the software developed by the entrepreneur that he is forced to cross licence.

Another concern about software patents is that the party holding the patent may not issue a license thus effectively preventing the use of an idea (which would be called restrictive trade practices otherwise if not for patents). An interesting anecdote Richard Stallman shared was about a Paul Heckle. Another interesting tidbit was from IBM about the benefits of software patents for IBM from them


1. The license fees


2. The litigation and payments avoided by cross-licensing (which is a better benefit than the first one)


On the whole the speech was a blast !!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Shyam, I was surfing blogs and paused at your title Richard Stallman. Thats what really caught my eye. I am promoting a horse halters related website and need to find more information to offer some of my internet friends. Not exactly what I was looking for but you have givin me some good ideas about what could be done with my horse halters related site that I will book mark and come back to hopefully get some more education from your site, you have some good stuff maybe you could visit my website and let me know what you think in my contact page. Just click on the link horse halters. Thank you and I wish you well .

Anonymous said...

Hello Shyam, I was surfing blogs and paused at your title Richard Stallman. Thats what really caught my eye. I am promoting a horse supplies related website and need to find more information to offer some of my internet friends. Not exactly what I was looking for but you have givin me some good ideas about what could be done with my horse supplies related site that I will book mark and come back to hopefully get some more education from your site, you have some good stuff maybe you could visit my website and let me know what you think in my contact page. Just click on the link horse supplies. Thank you and I wish you well .

Anonymous said...

Hey Shyam GREAT title Richard Stallman. Thats what actually caught my eye. I was surfing blogs to try and help my customers and visitors with information on my website about ##Keyword## and paused to read but ran out of time. I will book mark it and come back to read later. This isn't really what I was looking for what I really need is information about http://www.horse-lover-gift-ideas-central.com related subjects but thank you and I shall return. I wish you well.

Anonymous said...

Hey Shyam GREAT title Richard Stallman. Thats what actually caught my eye. I was surfing blogs to try and help my customers and visitors with information on my website about ##Keyword## and paused to read but ran out of time. I will book mark it and come back to read later. This isn't really what I was looking for what I really need is information about http://www.horse-lover-gift-ideas-central.com related subjects but thank you and I shall return. I wish you well.

Anonymous said...

Hi, you almost lost me for one second there... but I'm glad I didn't click away. First, I enjoyed your post, and second, maybe you can help. I don't know how much blog spam you get but I get tons on my blog. Most of the time I'm talking about top dog houses stuff because I have a top dog houses website, and people post all this junk with their links and stuff. As blog owners, I guess we'll always be subject to the unethical and inconsiderate. Well, hopefully it's not driving you to crazy... Good luck partner, enjoy the positives friend.

Bye ~

Anonymous said...

Well, is there something a little weird going on here? I don't know about you Shyam, but my blog gets pretty cluttered with spammy comments from people. My advice to you as one blog owner to another, is to be patient and focus on the great things about having a blog, instead of all the junk that goes on. You do have a quality blog and appears that you enjoy it. My favorite web project so far is a site, because I have total control and it makes me a couple dollars here and there. It's pretty hard to find new information on stuff though. Hey, keep up your excellent job Shyam, and good luck with your projects..

See ya ~

Anonymous said...

Shyam GREAT title Richard Stallman. I am actually looking for horse toys related information to give my customers on my website. I paused at the title and ran out of time to read, but will book mark you and come back latter to check you out some more. I am off to find some other horse toys related blogs. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Hi, you almost lost me for one second there... but I'm glad I didn't click away. First, I enjoyed your post, and second, maybe you can help. I don't know how much blog spam you get but I get tons on my blog. Most of the time I'm talking about stuff because I have a website, and people post all this junk with their links and stuff. As blog owners, I guess we'll always be subject to the unethical and inconsiderate. Well, hopefully it's not driving you to crazy... Good luck partner, enjoy the positives friend.

Bye ~

Anonymous said...

Great post Shyam, without blogs like yours I would be miserable and bored. My recent injury has me cooped up at home, so it's always lucky to find a gem like your blog here to keep me amused. My wood dog houses website is getting better but it's hard to find information on wood dog houses stuff, so I like learning from quality blogs like yours because it helps me in my web projects. You do a sweat job my friend. I'll be bookmarking your site in a special place. Will probably tell a friend too.

Nice work ~